The Miracle of Shea Butter: For Your Hair, Face and Lips
Shea butter has been used for centuries and is still a very popular ingredient in skin care to this day. This product has many different uses and takes excellent care of your face, body and hair – if you haven’t tried it yet, what are you waiting for? We’ll tell you all about what exactly shea butter is, explain what benefits it offers, and introduce you to the 8 best cosmetic products with this ingredient.
What Is Shea Butter?
Shea butter or karité is obtained from the oleaginous seeds of Vitellaria paradoxa or shea tree which grows in West and Central Africa.
Pure shea butter, for instance the Purity Vision BIO organic shea butter, can be used as a universal moisturising cream for your face, body and hair. It won’t irritate even the most sensitive skin, doesn’t clog pores, easily penetrates the deepest layers of your skin and contains a number of valuable nourishing substances.
What Can You Find in Shea Butter?
- Vitamin A or retinol – Antioxidant that effectively removes dead skin cells and stimulates new collagen production.
- Vitamin D – Positively affects problematic skin and skin with eczema. Also reduces wrinkles and lightens dark spots.
- Vitamin E – Protects cells from oxidative stress, expertly fights the effects of free radicals and prevents premature skin ageing.
- Essential fatty acids – Soften the skin and protect it from harmful external factors.
- Allantoin – Protects the skin, moisturises it and tightens pores. Popular anti-ageing ingredient for its ability to promote the formation of new skin cells.
Top Reasons You Should Use Shea Butter on Your Face and Body
- Hydrates and softens. Whether you’re dealing with a dry face, elbows, heels or other area, you should definitely try shea butter. For the best moisturising effect, it should be applied to wet skin, ideally after a shower.
- Helps you get rid of skin problems. If you’re struggling with acne, rashes, scars, stretch marks, insect bites or other issues, shea butter will soothe your skin and relieve itching and burning sensations.
- Rejuvenates. As we’ve already said, the unique composition of shea butter makes it a fantastic anti-ageing product.
Our TIP: Wondering if you can use shea butter on your lips? Of course you can! Especially if your lips are chapped or dehydrated. For extra hydration and nourishment, we recommend using the Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Intensive Lip Repair Balm which contains shea butter along with nourishing extracts from honey and arnica.
Why and How to Use Shea Butter on Hair
Karité butter is very effective in hydrating dry hair and protecting it from free radicals. It also soothes irritated or dry scalp and can even handle split ends or hair prone to breakage.
- Use shea butter instead of standard conditioner. Warm a walnut-sized amount of the butter in your palms, spread it through the ends of your hair and leave on for at least 20 minutes. Then wash it out with a gentle shampoo and style your hair as usual.
- Use shea butter as a leave-in hair conditioner. Rub a pea-sized amount of the butter into freshly washed hair by thoroughly brushing through the ends with your fingers, or use the René Furterer Karité leave-in creamy treatment for dry and damaged hair.
2 Best Facial Products with Shea Butter
The effective Elizabeth Arden Prevage Anti-Aging Moisture Cream with SPF 30 offers your skin an effective daily anti-wrinkle care. Its formula contains shea butter along with coconut butter and idebenone ester – a strong antioxidant. The cream is also suitable as a base for makeup.
If your skin is dry as well as sensitive, you can solve both of these problems with the La Roche-Posay Hydreane Riche nourishing moisturiser. Its main active ingredient is La Roche-Posay thermal water in combination with shea butter and hydrolipids.
Shea Butter for the Perfect Shower
Why not take care of your skin while you’re showering? The nourishing and revitalising Collistar Special Perfect Body Talasso Shower Cream will make it super easy! This product combines the effects of shea butter with sea extracts and essential oils to ensure velvety smooth skin from the first use.
Amazing Body Cream with Shea Butter
The firming, nourishing and regenerating Collistar Special Perfect Body Sublime Melting Cream invigorates very dry skin, providing hydration, elasticity and softness. Apart from shea butter, it also contains an extract from wild mango.
Perfect Shea Butter Hand Cream
If the skin of your hands is very dry and sensitive, or suffers from atopic eczema, you can use the unscented Bioderma Atoderm hand and nail cream to bring it the perfect relief. This product absorbs quickly and doesn’t leave an oily film.
Are you using shea butter in another way we have not mentioned?