Radiant Skin: Learn How to Use a Highlighter
May 27, 2021Notino
The world of highlighters and highlighter powders is just as varied as the world of bronzers and blushers. So many textures, shades and finishes it makes your head spin... Do you sometimes feel like you’re getting lost among all the options? If you do, let us help and show you how to pick a highlighter according to your skin tone or the type of foundation you use. We’re obviously including detailed instructions on which areas of your face should be highlighted.
Choosing a Highlighter Based on Skin Tone
Sometimes it’s almost impossible to guess which type of highlighter would suit you best. Especially if you’re trying to find your very first highlighter. So how can you tell that you’ve found the one? First of all, be sure to get a colour that is one shade lighter than your skin.
- Do You Have Light to Pale Skin? You should go for highlighters in cooler tones, with a silvery, pearlescent or pink shimmer.
- Is Your Skin Medium Dark? You’ll look beautiful with a golden or peach highlighter.
- Do You Have Lovely Dark Skin? Make it radiant with a bronze or copper highlighter.
- Do You Have an Olive Undertone? You can experiment and try any shade from gold to light bronze – as long as you stay away from cool shades.
- Don’t Want to Overthink It? Try a universal highlighter that complements any skin tone. A brilliant example would be. for instance. theBalm Mary - Lou Manizer. In fact, this highlighter can be used to illuminate your face as well as your eyes instead of an eyeshadow.
When Is Liquid Better than Powder?
Whichever formula you use, always remember that powder highlighters go best with other powder products, while liquid highlighters are best paired with liquid and cream-based makeup.
- You Have Oily Skin. If your face gets shiny, especially in the T-zone, you’re probably using powder foundations to achieve a matte finish. This, of course, means that you should go for a powder highlighter. A fantastic choice will be, for instance, the subtle Shiseido Aura Dew Face, Eyes, Lips highlighter with Japanese pearls. This highlighter won’t aggravate problematic skin, and it works as an amazing multi-purpose product you can also use on your eyes and lips.
- Your Skin Is on the Drier Side. In this case, you should ideally use a liquid foundation as well as highlighter. We’re pretty sure you’ll love using, for example, the Yves Saint Laurent Touche Éclat Radiant Touch highlighter pen. Its fine tip will help you highlight your Cupid’s bow or the bridge of your nose, and even cover some fine lines. Hyaluronic acid and tocopherol in the formula prevent any dehydration.
Our tip: If you have oily skin, make sure to set your foundation, concealer and blusher with a powder before you put on highlighter. In the case of dry skin, use a setting spray.
Highlighter Application in a Nutshell
You can let your imagination run wild, but always remember that highlighter should go on the areas of your face where the light naturally falls. If you want to achieve a more dramatic effect, you should also contour your face.
- The Right Tool The right brush will make your highlighter pop like a dream. You can follow the example of famous makeup artists and use a fan brush, or pick up a slimmer brush for a more precise application. We completely adore the Notino Master Collection highlighter brush with synthetic Ecolon bristles from Japan. You might also want to try the extremely soft BrushArt Everyday Collection brush that fits into any handbag.
- Bring out Your Cheekbones Not sure how to use highlighter to highlight your cheeks? Just look where you’ve applied your blusher and simply put the highlighter right above it, on the top of your cheekbones. You’ll look especially lovely if you use the Bobbi Brown Highlighting Powder. And what’s more, this product comes in four irresistible colours!
- A Painless Nose Job If you feel like your nose is a bit too wide, you can use a highlighter to make it slimmer. Apply the product down the bridge of your nose. In case you want your nose to look a little cuter, put the highlighter only on the tip.
- Fuller Lips Dreaming of sexy lips? You can plump up your upper lip by putting the highlighter in the middle of its upper contour. To make your lower lip look more sensual, apply a bit of delicate shimmer on your chin. If you’re looking for a really striking effect, try the metallic Yves Saint Laurent Couture Highlighter. This product goes on easily and can be used wet or dry.
- Well-Rested Eyes When concealer is not enough to cover up the signs of tiredness, a good highlighter might just save you. Apply it to the inner corners of your eyes and both under and above your brows. We can guarantee you’ll look more awaken and energised. Still not enough? Make your eyes look more open by putting the highlighter in the centre of your eyelids. Then use it to cover the dark circles under your eyes.
- Don’t Forget about Your Forehead Yes, that’s another place you should use a highlighter – especially if you also contour your face and you have already applied bronzer to your temples. However, stay away from highlighter if your forehead naturally gets too shiny.
- No Need for Foundation You can give your face some luminosity without using too much makeup. In fact, you can use highlighter as the only makeup product the second your moisturiser gets absorbed. Want to achieve the most natural finish possible? We wholeheartedly recommend the MAC Cosmetics Mineralize Skinfinish baked highlighting powder whose formula contains a complex of 77 minerals and the nourishing vitamin E.
Now you know where to apply your highlighter, and how. But did you know that Hollywood stars also use it on their collar bones, shoulders, arms and legs? Just like we said earlier – let your imagination run wild and create new exciting looks!