Dry and chapped lips often sting, develop tiny cracks and their skin starts to peel. Everyone deals with this problem from time to time. And it’s no wonder – the skin of your lips is sensitive and quite thin, plus it deals with many negative external factors throughout the day. It doesn’t even have any sebaceous glands that would keep it smooth. This is why taking care of your lips on a regular basis is so important. Find out what works for chapped lips and how to get rid of this problem once and for all!
Dry lips causes
Dry and chapped lips are most often caused by freezing or hot temperatures. However, if you’re dealing with dry lips all year round, your body might lack important vitamins and minerals or you might have an untreated health condition. Find out more about the most common reasons for dry lips:
- Insufficient water intake – Lack of hydration in your body causes the skin of your lips to dry from the inside.
- Cold, windy or freezing weather – Extremely dry lips during winter months are caused by reduced skin elasticity and insufficient protection of the sensitive skin against external factors.
- Dry environment – Dry air caused by radiators and air-conditioning units will evaporate moisture from your skin.
- Lack of vitamins and minerals – Vitamin B, zinc and iron are essential for nourishing your skin from the inside. Their lack might cause your lips to become dry or even chapped so much that they bleed.
- Lack of collagen – A loss of collagen is typically caused by age and might impact the smoothness of your lips.