Shea butter, sometimes also called karité, looks at first glance like a shapeless, yellowish lump of fat. But don’t be fooled by appearances – a piece of this “African gold” obtained from the nuts of sacred African trees should definitely be part of your beauty routine for its amazing positive effects.
The history of using shea butter in skin care is long – this miraculous natural substance was worth its weight in gold back when the queen Nefertiti used it to keep her skin silky smooth. It has its place both in the beauty industry and in the food industry, because raw shea butter is very rich in nutrients, full of saturated fatty acids and vitamins, and can be used in an endless number of ways.
Characteristics of Shea Butter
Shea butter is one of nature’s best treasures because it combines restoring and beautifying effects – a rare thing to find in a single substance. Thanks to a high content of fatty acids, it has positive effects on the skin, and its vitamins help keep the skin supple and wrinkle-free. Catechins and antioxidants speed up scar restoring and help cure various skin issues.
Benefits of Shea Butter for Skin
- Helps regenerate skin cells and promotes collagen production thanks to vitamin A which has positive effects on targeting wrinkles.
- Restores your skin’s elasticity and firmness thanks to a hight content of saturated fatty acids.
- Acts as a light protection from sunlight (SPF 3 to 4) thanks to vitamin E.
- Helps with acne treatment and restores the natural beauty of your skin.
- Speeds up the restoration of scars, burns, insect bites, and soothes allergic skin reactions.
- Recommended for issues with psoriasis, dermatitis, and atopic dermatitis.
- In winter, it acts as a protective shield against the cold and humidity, doesn’t clog pores, and can be used every day.
Benefits of Shea Butter for Hair
- Promotes a better hair growth and nourishes hair follicles.
- Removes dandruff, has a positive effect on dry scalp.
- Helps restore the right moisture balance to excessively oily hair and scalp.
- Gives hair a healthy gloss and takes care of split ends.
- Creates a protective filter on your hair against the harmful effects of sunlight.
- In winter it protects hair from the cold and humidity.
- Takes care of hair frequently stressed by blow-drying and straightening.
Beauty Products with Shea Butter
Shea butter can be used on all skin types from dry to normal, oily, or severely acne-prone complexion. It doesn’t feel heavy on your skin and doesn’t clog pores, which makes it suitable for everyday use. What’s crucial with different skin types, is the amount and type of products you choose.
Always apply pure shea butter to wet skin and hair. The oilier your skin is, the less shea butter you should use. You can either use unrefined shea butter or refined organic shea butter which has been cleaned, softened, and is easier to spread. Try for instance shea butter by Saloos that comes in a handy travel-friendly packaging.
Face and body creams with shea butter should be applied at least twice a day to help stimulate the production of collagen and elastin which help keep our skin firm. The renewal of protein structures slows down the process of cell ageing. Body washes and liquid hand soaps with shea butter provide quality care and hydration even during shower and frequent hand-washing.
Nourishing hair masks with shea butter will take care of dry and damaged hair from the first wash, plus they are often enriched with other rare substances that contribute to the health of your hair. You should also have a shea butter lip product to take care of the sensitive skin of your lips. Try for instance the Purity Vision shea lip butter.
Notino.co.uk carries a wide range of products with shea butter – so try them and see the miraculous effects by yourself!
Show filter Hide filter
Free gifts and offers
- Amouage 4
- Asombroso by Osmany Laffita 14
- Benecos 11
- Bioderma 6
- Clarins 15
- Couleur Caramel 9
- Curapil 1
- Dove 2
- Ere Perez 2
- Eucerin 19
- Garnier 1
- Gillette 1
- Hawaiian Tropic 1
- Holika Holika 1
- Klorane 1
- L’Occitane 9
- L’Oréal Paris 1
- La Roche-Posay 84
- Lancôme 3
- Makeup Obsession 2
- MIXA 1
- René Furterer 3
- Revolution PRO 8
- Revolution Skincare 1
- RYOR 7
- Saffee 1
- Saloos 15
- SpiriTime 2
- Urtekram 4
- Vichy 6
- Weleda 24
LancômeNutrix Royal BodyIntensely Nourishing and Renewing Cream For Dry To Very Dry Skin 200 ml
LancômeAbsolueRegenerating Brightening Soft Cream 60 ml
AmouageMythsBody Cream for Women 200 ml
AmouageDiaHand Cream for Women 300 ml
AmouageMythsHand Cream for Women 300 ml
AmouageHonourBody Lotion for Women 300 ml
DovePurely Pampering Shea ButterNourishing Body Milk 400 ml
DovePurely Pampering Shea ButterBath Foam 500 ml
GilletteSatin Care Dry SkinShaving Gel For Women 200 ml
Hawaiian TropicAfter SunMoisturizing Soothing Body Butter After Sun 200 ml
EucerinAnti-PigmentRadiance Night Cream against Liver Spots 50 ml
WeledaMenAfter Shave Balm 100 ml
WeledaBeauty BalmBB Cream 5 in 1 30 ml
WeledaCitrusHydrating Body Lotion 200 ml
WeledaSunSun Lotion for Kids SPF 30 150 ml
WeledaPomegranateRestoring Cream for Hands 50 ml
WeledaPomegranateRegenerating Body Milk 200 ml
WeledaPomegranateFirming Day Cream 30 ml
WeledaPomegranateFirming Night Cream 30 ml
WeledaPomegranateFirming Eye Cream 10 ml
WeledaIrisNight Cream 30 ml
WeledaIrisHydrating Day Cream 30 ml
WeledaAlmondBody Wash for Sensitive Skin 200 ml
WeledaAlmondBody Wash for Sensitive Skin 20 ml