Clear vitamin C or L-ascorbic acid is the most important derivative of vitamin C used in the cosmetic industry. It’s an active ingredient which gets absorbed quickly into the skin and creates a protective shield that resists the effects of free radicals, toxins, and sunlight. Natural vitamin C can be found in the fruit of many plants (citruses, rosehips, or broccoli) and the beauty industry also uses its synthetic form. Ascorbic acid is an unstable matter and it’s only the modern technology that succeeded at making it stable, which is why this ingredient is considered a rediscovered natural wonder.
Characteristics of Vitamin C
Free radicals are produced by harmful UV radiation, environmental pollution, and toxins, causing premature skin ageing and worsening hair condition. Vitamin C is a strong antioxidant and when you use it regularly, its rapid effects can restore your skin’s natural radiance, reduce wrinkles, and make your hair look beautiful and healthy.
Benefits of Vitamin C for Skin
- Acts as a strong antioxidant and protects cells from damage caused by free radicals.
- Eliminates hyperpigmentation and age spots, evens out skin tone.
- Protects skin from sun damage.
- Has strong anti-inflammatory effects and speeds up the process of healing of small wounds and acne scars.
- Prevents the destruction of collagen fibres in the skin and promotes its new production, thus slowing down the process of skin ageing and visibly reducing wrinkles.
- Gives skin a more radiant and healthy look. With regular use, your skin will also be firmer and more supple.
- Promotes skin exfoliation and softens skin texture.
- Oxygenates skin.
Benefits of Vitamin C for Hair
- Takes care of dry and damaged hair and protects it from harmful sunlight and free radicals.
- Revitalises the hair shaft from root to end and protects hair from breakage and split ends.
- Stimulates collagen production and improves hair growth and quality.
- Prevents hair loss.
- Helps reduce the pH, thus improving the closing and smoothing of the surface of the hair shaft. The result is brilliantly shiny hair.
Beauty Products with Vitamin C
Just like vitamin C strengthens the immunity of your entire body and protects it from harmful viruses, it also creates a protective shield for our skin and hair. Thanks to its strong antioxidant effects which prevent premature skin ageing, it’s actually considered a small wonder. However, our bodies can’t create vitamin C on their own and we need to supply it through the right diet, skinc are, and hair care. Cosmetics with vitamin C are suitable for all skin types – you don’t need to worry about it even if your skin is very dry or sensitive.
Moisturisers with vitamin C are a great choice for mature skin – however you can start using them much earlier, because they have a preventive effect on premature skin ageing and hyperpigmentation. L-ascorbic acid is added to skin care products in varying concentrations, but the recommended amount is 10 to 15%. Start by using products with vitamin C once a day and gradually add other skin care with the ingredient.
You can use a vitamin C serum regularly under your day cream. Before applying your moisturiser, give the serum some time to absorb. Its effects are fast and your skin will look healthier and more radiant. Store your serum with vitamin C in a dark, cool place – don’t be afraid to keep it for example in your fridge.
Hair care with vitamin C restores your hair’s vitality and stimulates its growth. Add a conditioner, hair mask, or a shampoo with vitamin C to your hair care routine. In the summer, it will protect your skin from damage caused by chlorine and harmful sun rays. In winter, vitamin C will prevent split ends and breakage caused by harsh weather conditions.
Discover quality shampoos, serums, or a vitamin C cream and add them to your day or night skin care routine! You’ll be rewarded with a glowing, healthy skin and strong, glossy hair.