Discover the mystical charm of oud fragrance: World’s most luxurious scent
Welcome to the world of Middle Eastern fragrance! Oud perfume is sweet, perfectly balanced, and sensual. Oud is often nicknamed “liquid gold” because the price of high-quality oud parfum oil surpasses the price of gold, making it a staple in luxury perfumery. Its intoxicating compositions is a symbol of mystique and luxury.
What is oud?
Oud, also called Oudh or agarwood, comes from rare trees of the Aquilaria species called Agar trees. Native to the rainforests of south-eastern Asia, Agar trees have a pale and odourless wood, which on its own is nothing special.
Surprisingly, it all starts with a fungus
The magic happens when a particular kind of fungus infects the Agar tree. The tree starts to secrete a unique, aromatic resin to stop the infection, soaking parts of the heartwood which become dark and dense.
This resin-embedded wood, as well as the resin itself, is oud – a unique aromatic, and one of the most valuable natural materials in the world.
History of oud fragrance
With its first recorded use dating back to at least 1400 B.C.E, oud has remained a significant aspect of human history ever since, being referenced in poetry, ancient medicine, and even religious texts.
It’s since spread from Asia and has become synonymous with the Middle East. There, the use of oud traces all the way back to Prophet Muhammad, who initiated the practice of fumigating oneself with oud — a tradition continued by Muslims today.
Oud still holds a deep cultural significance in the Arab region and is used as a traditional aromatic and perfume, from burning high-grade wood chips as incense to perfuming garments and households. The oud scent has spread to the west, too, and has become a sought-after ingredient in luxury perfumery.
How is oud obtained and processed to create the best oud fragrances?
Infected Agar trees are very rare to come by in nature, which is why oud is so valuable. Sometimes agarwood farmers create artificial wounds in the trees to speed up the infection process.
After harvesting, the resinous agarwood is hand-carved, processed into chips and sorted into different grades by skilled artisans. The chips can then be used as incense or ground up, fermented, and distilled, resulting in pure oud oil.
Oud perfume for women & oud perfume for men
Popular oud combinations
Let’s take a look at the fragrance notes that go well with oud to create the best oud perfume.
The best oud perfumes for ladies may include:
- Rose oud fragrance: With its combination of a fresh, romantic rose scent with sensual oud, rose oud perfume makes some of the best oud perfume for women.
- Oud orchid: Exotic orchid bloom and mysterious oud result in an unforgettable oud perfume for her.
- Vanilla oud perfume: This sweet oud perfume makes for a comforting yet sensual scent, which can work well for men, too. This timeless combination of oud and vanilla fragrance has been a staple of Arabic perfumery for centuries.
The best oud fragrances for men:
- Leather oud: Smoky oud and supple leather make a classic pairing that you can find in some of the best oud perfume for men, and when combined with the right notes, even for women.
- Woody oud: A robust, deep and earthy aroma of oud oil with woody notes works quite well for ladies and even better for the gentlemen.
A popular unisex perfume pairing with oud:
- Amber oud: Amber and oud make for a captivating blend of rich and earthy fragrance, and a great choice as oud for men as well as oud for women.
Whether you’re looking for the best oud perfumes for him or her, we’ve got you covered. Choose the best oud cologne, perfume, or aftershave on Notino!
See entire text